The Sipesville Volunteer Fire Company was formally organized in March 1930. The Company's original equipment consisted of a large dinner bell and two fire extinguishers. Later on in 1930, the Company acquired two hand drawn hose carts. The meetings and other functions were held in the Sipesville Community Band Hall. On April 23, 1936, the Sipesville Volunteer Fire Company added to its name and became incorporated and officers were elected.
In July 1936, the Fire Company hosted the Somerset County Fireman's Convention. The activities included a week long carnival at Schmucker's Grove (near the present elementary school) and a parade through town. In October 1937, using profits from the County Convention, shooting matches, card parties, bingo's, suppers, and square dances, the company purchased their first motorized apparatus; a new Ford pumper. The cost of the fire engine and some other much needed equipment totaled $1,557.60.
The Band Hall was purchased in October 1946 from the Sipesville Community Band. It was remodeled then sold in 1955 so the Fire Company could bid on the Sipesville Schoolhouse at a public auction. The fire company won the bid and then moved into what is still the present fire station.
Around 1956 the need for a new fire engine was resolved with the purchase of a 1953
Ford fire engine. Sometime around this era, the company also purchased a used hearse
to serve as an ambulance. This unit was given the designation of Medic 675 and the
medical equipment consisted of an oxygen cylinder and mask, ladder splints, and a
basic first aid kit. Around 1982, the company upgraded equipment once more and purchased
a used 1969 Ford F-
In 1981 the former schoolhouse was renovated and underwent some major changes. Perhaps the most significant change was the removal and resizing of the large windows located along the front side of the building. In the dining hall portion of the building, wood paneling and a suspended ceiling were added for a fresh new look. Improvements were also made to the kitchen area with the addition of new countertops and cabinets.
During the 1980's and early 1990's, the fire company had expanded its apparatus profile
to include a mini-
The company also built their first custom tanker on a 1978 Mack R Model chassis.
The chassis for the truck was purchased from the New Enterprise Stone and Lime Co.
in Somerset, PA. The unit was then turned over to 4 Guys Fire Equipment for the
addition of a 2250 gallon tank and 750 GPM front mounted pump. This unit would come
to be known as Tanker 607-
In 1989, the Sipesville Volunteer Fire Company became an authorized Pennsylvania
Turnpike Service Provider. This led the company to purchase a new Holmatro hydraulic
combi tool, short and long hydraulic rams, and power plant to increase the company's
vehicle rescue capabilities. The next apparatus purchase came in 1993. The fire
company contracted New Lexington Fire Equipment to construct a state-
The new engine replaced the Squad, and became designated as Engine 607-
In July of 2002, the company responded to a call at the Quecreek Mine. Little did the firefighters expect to be placed in the national spotlight during the dramatic rescue of nine trapped miners. In 2003, the fire company took another giant step by breaking ground for a new fire station building. The new building has a five bay garage to house all of the apparatus under one roof. A larger dining hall also serve as a meeting place for banquets and other community events. The station has a lounge, exercise equipment, and increased storage or office space for the members of the fire company. In 2011 Sipesville Volunteer Fire Company celebrated 75 years of continued service to the community.